Cricut Cake Machine Cutts Frosting Sheets
For cake decorating ideas and video help from professional bakers just check out these cake decorating techniques.
The art of cake decorating has been popular for hundreds of years. Introducing the new Cricut Cake machine for cake decorating. Now anyone can go from a budding hobbyist to a professional cake decorator with the push of a button. Sugar crafter’s are in high demand these days. Some wedding cakes are elaborate sculptures costing thousands of dollars. Turn your creativity into cash with the help of Cricut software.
Never be stuck for a cake decorating idea again. Just connect the Cricut to a computer and use the Cricut Design Studio software or the hand held Cricut Gypsy for inspiration. Just select your design, press a button and frosting, gum paste or fondant decorations are ready to apply to any dessert.
This article will hep you cut Cricut cake frosting sheets, fast, easy and correctly, saving you time and money.
Cricut Cake Frosting Sheets Tips and Tricks
•Getting the right amount of shortening, proper cutting speed, and pressure is very important for frosting sheets.
• Always start with a clean, dry mat.
• Apply a generous coat of shortening using a pastry brush. If shortening is white, you have too much.
• Only take one sheet out at a time. Reseal the bag to keep the other sheets fresh. Remove from backer paper. Ensure that the frosting sheet you’re working with is still flexible and pliable.
• Apply shortening to the back of the frosting sheet using a pastry brush.
• Apply the greased frosting sheet to the greased Cricut Cake mat. Smooth out all air bubbles use the smoother in the Cricut Cake tool kit or a rolling pin. You will be able to see air bubbles and areas without shortening more easily with frosting sheets since they are somewhat transparent. The frosting sheet will appear wet and you may be able to see the brush strokes where shortening has been applied. Lift the frosting sheet and apply shortening to any areas you may have missed, if necessary. Make sure to smooth down and get out all the air bubbles.
• Using the directional arrows on the machine, move the cutting blade about ½” from the top and side edge. Start cutting using medium speed and pressure. You may need to adjust the pressure. Use just enough pressure to cut through the frosting sheet but not into the mat. For best results cut images 3″ or larger. More intricate images may cut better at larger sizes.
• To prevent drying, store cut shapes in a sealed bag until ready to use.
How To Cut Frosting Sheets With The Cricut For Cakes
1. What causes my Cricut cake frosting sheests to slip when it’s being cut? a. You may have too much shortening. Use a pastry brush to apply the shortening and brush until all the white is gone. You should see transparent brush marks where you’ve applied shortening to the mat. b. The shortening may be too warm. Since shortening turns to liquid at high temperatures, this can cause the frosting sheet to slip. Always start with a room temperature or cold mat (not hot) and, if possible, work in a room that is 80 degrees F or less. If necessary, place mat with frosting sheet applied in the freezer for about 2 to 5 minutes. Just leave it in there long enough to firm up the shortening, but not so long that the frosting sheet becomes cold and brittle.
2. What causes my frosting sheet to bunch up when it’s being cut?
a. You may not have enough shortening. Use a pastry brush to apply the shortening to the mat and the back of the frosting sheet. Apply the frosting sheet to the mat and smooth out all the air bubbles. Check for any spots that don’t appear wet. Lift and apply shortening to any of these areas. b. You may have air bubbles under the frosting sheet. Use the smoother or a rolling pin to smooth out the Cricut frosting sheets and apply the frosting sheet to the mat. Check for air bubbles and continue to smooth onto the mat until well applied and no air bubbles can be seen.
3. How can I tell if I have enough shortening on the mat when cutting frosting sheets? Since the Cricut cake frosting sheets are so thin, they are somewhat transparent. The frosting sheet will appear wet and you may be able to see the brush strokes where shortening has been applied. If you notice white areas, lift the frosting sheet and apply more shortening under the white area.
4. Why can’t I use a paper towel or my hand to apply the shortening? We recommend using a pastry brush to apply the shortening to ensure an even and ample coating of shortening. Apply a generous coating of shortening, but if the shortening is white, brush until the white is gone.
5. What do Cricut cake frosting sheets taste like? They are starchy and lightly sweet. They taste somewhat like rice paper.
6. Can I reuse scraps of frosting sheets? You can cut on any scraps of frosting sheets that are larger than 3″ x 3″. Unlike gum paste, you cannot re-roll frosting sheets.
Cricut Cake Ideas
Now that you have learned how to cut Cricut cake frosting sheets with the Cricut for Cakes machine, learn how to cut gum paste with these Cricut Cake ideas.